By the using the given glassware’s sample measurement, number of significant figures and uncertainty has to be given.
Significant figures: The digits having a meaning in a given number are called as significant figures.
Significant figures – calculation rules
- Significant figure is a non-zero number (4443.2 has five significant figures)
- Zeros placement in between non-zero number are significant figures (40005 has five significant figures).
- Zeros before the non-zero number are not significant number (0.00040005 has five significant figures).
- Zeros after the non-zero number are significant in case of that number contains decimal point (4.5000 has five significant figures).
- Zeros after the non-zero number may or may not be a significant figure in case of that number does not have a decimal point (500 may have 1, 2 or 3 significant figures). In this cases use scientific notation to avoid ambiguity.
To give: A sample measurement, number of significant figures and uncertainty by using the given glassware